Sunday, June 29, 2008

Longevity


For the benefit of all, I'd like to
include what I emailed my friends
of late. I’ve shared with some of them
this view of mine before. It goes
as follows:

Hi all,

That lovely thought-out piece of
information (Balance Sheet of Life)
I just forwarded has some truths
in it, but I noticed the 70 years
at the end of life, which may be
true for many but not for all.
In fact, a long-time friend of
mine, James, wrote a note after
receiving that, saying, “BTW,
end is 100 in the near future.”

In reply, I said this:
“Thanks for that note. I thought
about it after I forwarded that
(in fact, before it as well).
End is actually a minimum of
120 in the present. And this
is biblical (Gen 6:3). It is
possible by the wisdom of God.

Hence there's no reason why we
can't live with that expectation.”


My friend made a valid point. In
many places, especially in first
world countries, people are living
longer lives. The number of people
living above 100 year old are on the
increase worldwide. This is especially
true in Japan, which currently boasts
of the longest expected lifespan in the
world.

Knowing James as a man of excellence
that he is, he will work hard to make it
to be at least a centenarian. Any one
wants to join him?

Now, I don’t know about you, but I
personally find the subject of longevity
fascinating.

I know Genesis 6:3 is subject to inter-
pretation, and some Bible scholars have
interpreted it differently. But I would
prefer to take it literally: 120 years of
lifespan, I.e., our DNA has been program-
med, if you like, to last at least 120 years*,
even after the Great Flood which occurred
a few thousand years ago. I believe some
of us certainly can outlive that number, as
many people many generations after the
Flood did live well beyond 120**. It’s
worth a try, though it isn’t easy! (Those
who are negative or unbelieving will
disagree with me here, but we all have a
right to have our own opinion). There are
a few people whose lifespan have actually
exceeded this figure. Someone I know
informed me that her great grand mother
lived till 130 years (this of course was
undocumented and would not have
entered the Book of Guinness Records,
since this woman lived in a remote part
of Java, Indonesia)!

Despite the aforesaid, most people
are still living with the thinking
that when they reach 70, that’s the
end. Nay! Seventy is NOT the end
anymore! Let’s not short-circuit
ourselves by settling for 70, but
let’s aim for 120. Shouldn’t we?
Of course, this is debatable. But why
not, if we can live healthy, vibrant
lives without sickness for another
50 years? We can! I know it’s going
to be tough. But, first, we’ve got to
change our belief system or mindset!

What am I saying, writing all the
above seemingly unbelievable facts?
What I have been saying is this:

We can increase our odds of living
a long, healthy life. And 120 and
beyond is not far-fetched!




* Not up to, but at least, 120! No doubt,
we can disagree with that, and short-
change our lives!


** Read more?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home